Sensitive and Specialist Advice
Unique Insight to Common and Canon Law
Mullins has extensive experience working with different Christian Churches and ecclesial communities in Australia, and our largest religious orders and church bodies.
Our Partner Pat Mullins is Australia’s only canon lawyer to simultaneously practise as a common lawyer. Pat has an understanding of the Catholic positions in canon law, and an ecumenical sensitivity to the many subtle differences applicable for other Churches and ecclesial communities.
He regularly advises Church and religious organisations on the day-to-day operation of schools and charities; and helps manage issues around legislative compliance and risk. Such areas include:
- Code of canon law in regard to governance and operations
- Complaints resolution including compensation
- Conduct and professional standards issues
- Employment law
- Property including sales and refurbishments
- Safeguarding policies and statutory obligations
- School and charity operations
- Structuring advice, sensitive to canon law and other discrete ecclesiological requirements
- Wills and estates